Sunday, May 25, 2008

To the City I Once Called Home

Smells and sounds, dazed and dizzy
You were everything I had hoped you’d be
Voices, noises, heady, giddy
Life lived to the fullest, undoubtedly

Pot-holed roads on tree-lined streets
Bustling crowds, busy beats
Sun tanned faces, rushing feet
Smiles and wiles, and everything in between

Home to my dearest friends
Angels who looked over me
Home to the boys and men
Who once vowed their true love to me

In you I found myself
Became the person I was to be
Among your teeming millions, in anonymity
I learned who I was, found my identity

You welcomed me, then owned me
You touched me, molded me
Hurt me, forgot me, lost me, scarred me,
Then lovingly held me, wept as you healed me

But nobody smiles on your roads today
They’re too busy fighting for every inch they see
They’re thirsty, blood thirsty, running crazy
After mirages of gold that cannot be

You have no more to give,
Yet you welcome them all
And they try to transform you, so more
May find a place in your folds

Oh Delhi! What have you come to be?
You’re ravaged and torn, left open to bleed
Your spirit is dying, your soul diseased
But nobody cares, not even me.

I leave you today, to your destiny
Your last revelation, is the coward in me
I haven’t the strength to return to you, Delhi
I’m running away, scared, forgive me.

7 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

I know the feeling... I wish Delhi will go back to being dilwali again.. People are too busy, too rude, too inconsiderate now... unfortunately even i'm just adding to tht :(

1:15 AM 
Blogger Chaitali Patel said...

Lovely poem!!! Wish I could write 2lines that rhyme.

10:09 PM 
Blogger Anshul said...

very very well written!
but why do you feel like this for Delhi?

12:12 AM 
Blogger Nice New Guy said...

Ma, you are not the same anymore
acne and the fat, and that sore.
How can I accept you at home
for I have a found another abode.
But I will write all proses
that talk about you and the roses.
But all I will do is write
because I have this internal fright.
You are just a city, a place
I will whine about the current race.
I know it shows my inner criminal
but who cares, it's so subliminal.
Those who leave their mothers away
Can still come back a day.
Those who give up and write prose,
Will never accept even their self anyway.


P.S. nutty, nicely verbalized.

2:54 AM 
Blogger Still Searching said...

Wow! I dont think I've read a better description of Delhi in a long time!! And I so totally agree with you! And how the hell do you manage to write such nice poems!!

7:28 PM 
Blogger nutty said...

@soan - missin u :(

@chaitali - you always say that every time I post a poem! and I don't believe it!! so I'm tagging you to write 2 lines that rhyme :) Any 2 lines ... just 2 lines ... I really hope you take it up :D

@anshul - thank you :)
explanations in my follow up post ...

@NNG - thank you! I appreciate the effort in your response ... but if I explain myself in return it will just sound defensive and will be long enough for an entire post ... so I hope you can just get your answers in my next post :)

11:47 AM 
Blogger nutty said...

@still searching - thank you! and by now I could prob depend on you agreeing with me .. hehehe :D As for how - I just write what I feel ... I guess being emotionally volatile does have its advantages :D

11:49 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home