Friday, September 14, 2007

Dreams and What ifs …

What if someone went in to your past, picked out your wildest dream, held it in the palm of their hand and offered it to you? What if something you had deeply cherished so long ago was right there in front of you, yours for the taking? Would you look at it in awe, remembering all that you had felt and wonder if it was real? Would you smile, amused at your naiveté and wonder why you had yearned for something so trivial? Or would it overwhelm you by how deeply you desired it still but had just forgotten about it in your journey through life? What if it was everything you wanted exactly when you wanted it?

And what if there was a catch?

What if your dream truly could be yours forever but it may not be exactly as you had imagined it? Think for a second -

That perfect home, but with a roof leak that could possibly never be fixed.

That perfect job, but you may never get promoted.

That perfect car, but it may have a bent fender.

That perfect life, but it may never satisfy you.

That perfect life partner, but you may never understand him/her or be understood.

Everything you ever wanted with the possibility of a serious flaw. Of course a possibility is always just that - that it’s possible. It may not be probable. It may never happen. But would you take that chance? Would you risk the death of your most cherished dream just to make it come true? Or would you step back and decline the offer, content to enjoy its perfection in your imagination.

What are dreams really worth if they never come true? What value do they hold if you don’t risk everything to make them come true? What possibilities do we overlook when we wish for our dreams to come true? Are dreams realized only if they are exactly as we want them to be? Or do dreams change with reality and must be constantly tweaked as we, ourselves, change as people?

What do you dream about most? Do you really want that dream to come true?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a lighter note, I had my first hip-hop class yesterday and it was a nightmare! The class was full of giggly girls in spandex stretching their limbs as if it were an advanced ballet class and my instructor turned out to be a 45 year old woman who is in much better shape than I could ever dream of being. Very disconcerting, I tell you. To add to that, my hip-hop moves look nothing like what they show on MTV. In fact, my best efforts at "shaking my booty" made me look like a side-kick in a Govinda item number! Extremely disturbing, trust me. However, I shall stick around for the next four weeks and try to "find my groove" and hopefully come up with something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to do even within the solitary confines of my bedroom!

8 Comments:

Blogger Anshul said...

Dreams are something that keep you running. Dreams should be cherished; if you dont dream then whats the fun of living.
Dreams need not be perfect; need not be un-absurd (if there is a word like that); can be as basic as what you would like to do to as complex as what you would want a perfect life for
To be frank, I have never been a believer in perfection; I mean once you attain perfection; then you cease to exist right? What more can you do once you are perfect; just think about it!
how can you have a perfect life partner whom you dont understand and vice versa; thats like an oxy-moron right.

"Would you risk the death of your most cherished dream just to make it come true? "
I dont know; I would like my dreams to come true and I would strive for it; not have anyone hand it over to me; then it looses or loses (which one Zeeks?) its entire importance right?

tu aajkal itna load kyun le rahi babes? sabh theek hai?

About your hip-hop; oh I am totally with you; when I joined my kick boxing classes; I was (and still am) the slowest and most unfit.
on a different note; a bent fender can be mended; so yeah I can have a perfect car (drove a friends Porsche last evening on the way to the airport; babes 140kmph and the baby was like come on give me more.. God what a vehicle)

9:58 PM 
Blogger Zee said...

hahahahaha!! i felt like a complete loser in my first few salsa classes too......awkward and ungraceful....but then it felt good later...so hang in there....

on the serious part....what if i told you i'd have all of that? i stay in my dream house..but the water problems never get solved so the house is always dirty
i had a perfect job but i thought i'd never get promoted
i have the perfect car but an auto rammed into it
i had a perfect partner but just never knew him.......

2:03 AM 
Blogger Still Searching said...

If someone came and told me that my dream had come true, I'd laugh... I'd rather not see it materialize, than be disappointed that it didn't turn out the way I imagiend it! And you know what, anyways some of my dreams make me laugh! I wonder what I was thinking! Haha!

P.S Stick onto the hip-hop though!

8:20 PM 
Blogger Cool said...

sometimes u pursue your dream and on your way it may happen... u lose the dream... can happen....

11:27 AM 
Blogger Vadapoche said...

Every morning you have two choices to go back to sleep and dream or wake up and chase your dream - got this on SMS, makes a lot of sense.

But good post.

9:22 AM 
Blogger nutty said...

@anshul - all good buddy! no worries :) just recent developments in life make me question which way I'm headed and what I really want... thats all :)

@zee - it does seem like the thing to do right? but wouldn't you regret not having the dream be perfect if you settle for a flawed version of it?

@still searchin - yea I'm kinda swinging to and fro right now between your choice ans zee's :) confused soul that I am :)

@cool - yes of course .. dreams change .. lives change .. times change and so do people .. but sometimes you forget about what you wanted you dont stop wanting it .. you just forget about it ..

@jollyroger - ah! if I could just sleep my life away in dreamland!
thanks all the same!

1:21 PM 
Blogger Ganju said...

Dear Nutteshwar

First of all, it is less than advisable to combine deep deep posts on dreams and aspirations with posts about booty shaking hip hop classes :)

The dreams part is pretty cool - reminds me a of a line about the futility of dreams in Bruce Springsteen's song ('The River' I think): "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?"

Moving on the the roomful of giggling, booty-shaking, spandex clad girls - well I think that's one of my dreams :)

7:04 PM 
Blogger Kanupriya said...

is it your b'day today? if yes, my wishes! ;-)

8:55 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home