Saturday, August 18, 2007

Now that the brouhaha over I-day has died down...

I believe it is safe to publish my views on patriotism.

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.
-- George Bernard Shaw

It was this quote that actually got me thinking about nationalism, patriotism and what have you. Yes, I am Indian. Yes, I believe India is potentially one of the greatest nations of this world. Are we the best? Not by a far shot. Should we strive to do better? Undoubtedly. Does it mean every other nation is an enemy to be scorned or feared? But of course not!

This past week or so a lot of bloggers have written about our love for India and how it should be rightly expressed, the troubles plaguing India, the apathy of the educated Indian towards these problems, the vast divide in the living conditions of different sections of Indians, so on and so forth. None of these are new. It is pretty much the same conversation people have had every year around this time, ever since I was old enough to understand conversations. And yes, no one can deny their inherent truth. But there are a few points that still ring false in my mind and I only attempt to think out loud. Given the strong sentiments patriotism generally evokes, I would like to assure you, my dear reader, I love my country just as much as the next Indian and I do not mean to offend you.

While I’m at it, let me also add the disclaimer that I am no Economics guru or brilliant MBA GirlWonder. I’m also not an avid follower of the Indian GDP etc. and what I question here are issues as my peanut sized geek brain understands them.

A lot of people worry about how we're selling out to the capitalistic lure of the west, allowing MNCs to oust local competition, hence giving in to their obvious evil. They affect the economic growth. They take away local jobs. But do these companies not generate wealth in other parts of the world? Do these MNCs not employ people, albeit outside our country, providing a source of livelihood to a lot of families everywhere? Then what makes the livelihood of an Indian worker more important than that of another worker somewhere around the world? Once you accept this truth, the question arises: "should I buy Indian simply because I am Indian with no thought to what I want/need/like?". Of course, heaven forbid, I should actually say, I think some of the foreign brands are better than our homegrown products!

But lets move on to another aspect of jobs and industries and talk about outsourcing, be it IT, ITES or BPO as these also deal with people earning a living by competing with foreign competition. Everyone agrees it's OK for us to vie for these jobs, because as we claim, we’re cheaper, faster, better. With that logic, why shouldn't manufacturers, of every shade and hue, attempt to make an entry into the Indian market? It’s purely a matter of competition and if the Indian industries can’t take the heat they should get out of the kitchen, rather than complain about Walmart or McDonald’s or whatever else is considered to be the arch enemy these days. As a consumer, I would want the best and national loyalties, in this case, seem irrelevant to me.

The other issue of high debate has always been 'brain drain'. Somehow, I’m inclined to believe it is only those with the privilege of being born to a good life that can afford to speak against it. Everyone is entitled to work their way towards their image of a better life. Why should anyone be obliged to stay in a country/ state/ city/ town/village simply because they were born there? It’s really a matter of degree from where I'm standing. If it is OK to move out of a village in search of a better life why not move out of your country? I do not want to imply that India is a village among the countries of the world; it was simply a parallel to show how people may opt out of their current circumstances. In fact, considering India's problems, one might think the faster people move out the better it would be as there would be fewer people vying for the fast diminishing resources.

At the end of the day all the hue and cry comes down to "it has got to be better than this because I was born here". There is ego involved. The same sort of ego which would rather have hundreds of thousands of people (soldiers, natives, tourists) die rather than give away a piece of land to a neighboring country. But I don't even want to stir that hornet’s nest!

To me, Utopia would be a world without borders. Countries, as we know them, might cease to exist. Taxes would be paid voluntarily as one might pay for the maintenance of their homes. Traveling to different lands would be free. Citizenship would be a matter of where one’s heart feels at home. People would believe themselves to be children of this Earth rather than of a state or country.

Then again, Utopia will never come to be. A mutual respect may be the most we can hope for. This thought provoking quote, seems to me, the only answer to all these questions.

I realise that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone.
-- Edith Cavell

PS: Something completely off the topic (I rarely, if ever, mix train of thoughts, but this was something I needed to get out of my system so bear with me!) - something about friendships. If someone has to let go of one friendship to accept another, two questions come to my mind -
- was the first relationship really worth anything if it could be let go so easily?
- is the second relationship really worth accepting if at its very conception it brings with it pain and sorrow to someone you once cared for?

Congratulations! You reached the end! I applaud you!

10 Comments:

Blogger Nice New Guy said...

"To me, Utopia would be a world without borders."

It isn't yet though. Governments are (have to be) selfish in favor of individual nations. People are (tend to be) biased towards their birthplaces. The ego of the country is connected with individual ego (you found it!). Citizenship isn't a matter of free will - the existing group decides whether you become a part of it. And this existing group in each country also strives to make itself (and the country) seem the best.

The bloggers posting about love for India don't have feasible solutions or steps to make the country a better place (or even if they have feasible solutions, they won't be implemented). But so don't you, for the utopia you describe. :)


Now something completely offtopic...

Regarding friendships, the question that comes to my mind is...

What kind of friendship is that, if it forces you to let go of another? Does it make you less of a friend to one person if you also befriend another? Is there some trust missing?

I have been in this situation before. It could be difficult, but then at least one of the two other parties involved has played a role in making it difficult.

11:39 PM 
Blogger Zee said...

you should've caught the last episode of the big fight....ndtv....it was simply awesome! it spoke about what brought about the change in india...and liberalism was number 1.....

think a lot of people are grateful for a lot of things about our country....from the inside or the outside....

8:15 AM 
Blogger Cool said...

I am not against liberalism... but i have opposite opinion on brain drain... if capable people leave the country for better opportunies abroad, who is to build this country???? its the choice between struggling hard and helping in development of the country however small it may be (mostly it looks like fighting for survival;its changing but slowly) or leave it and give urself a better standard of living... choice is individual's.... there is other side also, u go abroad and earn money and remit to India and still u r helping the nation to develop... end of the day it's indivuals choice....

another question is if we have free trade of goods then why not free trade of services???

and wholeheartedly agree on the friendship bit :)

12:39 PM 
Blogger Vadapoche said...

Gr8 post! My take is somewhat different. http://jollyrogerrocks.blogspot.com/2007/08/happy-independence-day-i-guess-after.html

9:02 PM 
Blogger Still Searching said...

I "reached the end" at least 4 times (I've read ur post like 4 times already!) and have lots of things to say... but I cant think coherently right now, so I think I'll comment again later with something more useful to say!

3:32 PM 
Blogger nutty said...

@nice new guy - :) well you're essentially saying the same thing I'm saying. And I have no illusion that my Utopia will never come to be. Thats why it is Utopia! Same for the friendship part :) my sentiments exactly!

@zee - I tried finding the episode online. I found tonz of site streaming every imaginable saas-bahu serial but even NDTV doesn't stream its programs! Alas!

@cool - I agree. It is an individual's choice. And none should be judged for their decision. To each his own?

@jollyroger - read your post. of course we should work towards improving ourselves. And hope springs eternal. It was hope that kept the Indian spirit alive through 500 yrs of colonisation! It is how we perceive ourselves in the greater scheme of affairs that I feel we need to widen our views. We're not really disagreeing with each other .. just talking about different aspects of our country.

@still searching - waiting.....
(pls note the conscious effort to not refer to you by your name as I know it to be but by your blogger ID :D )

4:13 PM 
Blogger Ganju said...

nutteshwar - these posts are much too serious for me. i do (contrary to appearances) have many serious opinions - but i am tired of them all, tired of hearing myself debate points rationally. irrationality is a lifestyle choice for me.

so i'm afraid, yet again i can't comment on this blog. can you please go back to lighter posts where you ask me about my make-up :)

9:06 PM 
Blogger Anshul said...

As you can see I removed my previous blog; so just doing what I always do ie getting back to life; so bring on the beer I say (no cocktails) and the pole dancing

4:19 AM 
Blogger nutty said...

@ganju - Alas! However due consideration shall be given to your complaint! Fear not! We do not like to disappoint our faithful readers :)

@anshul - no comments :) except maybe - new post please?

4:34 AM 
Blogger Cool said...

i agree none should be judged for their decisions.. to each his own... but then people should not be hypocrite and say i wanted to do something for my country but there aren't enough opportunities.....

11:04 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home