Tuesday, July 10, 2007

These are a few of my (least) favorite things...

I am a person who is easily upset. I get wound up over the smallest of issues and am terrible at pretending all is okay. I also hate people asking me why I'm upset, when it should be quite obvious, so I decided I'm going to list the things that upset me most! Of course, in my infinite wisdom, I do realize this could result in a very long post, but I can only promise to try and restrain my rant :)

So here goes!

1. People who offer to help, and then don't.
As a general rule, an offer to help should never be relied upon, so, as a worst case scenario, if the promised help doesn't come through you're no worse off really. However it does upset me if someone volunteers to help, assures you of this, but then doesn't really do anything (for whatever reasons). It would be a lot better if they just didn't offer in the first place, or at least had the courtesy to say they couldn't and maybe apologize. It's worse when they don't even realize something's amiss! Knock Knock?

2. People who assume they know (anything/everything) better than you.
This is quite common of course. Everyone thinks they're better informed or better equipped when it comes to making the decisions in your life. So of course if you do proceed to take a decision on your own, they will almost always - a) be offended at not being consulted; b) insist on telling you, after you have gone ahead done what you decided to, that they would have done it differently/better.

3. People who take the slightest joke personally and puff up at you.
You're having a normal conversation, innocuous jokes, random leg pulling. And then out of the blue, at some statement that seems no more or less mundane than the ones before it, someone takes offense. Not just take offense but they then proceed to guilt trip you into having said anything at all in the last 25+ yrs of your existence. As if all you ever wanted was to hurt them and now, suddenly, from being the joker, you're the monster. Gimme a break ya! The world, at large, really isn't out to score points hurting you at random, you know? Unfortunately, a lot of things are said by a lot of people for no specific purpose and shouldn't really be over-analyzed. Take it at face value or leave it be!

4. People who don't fight fair.
I love a good argument. Give me an alternate point of view and I'd love to convince you otherwise or test my theories against yours. I hate it when people just don't let themselves get into a debate. I hate it even more when people pretend to pushovers and say "I dunno, I guess I'm just stupid" in that patronizing way which actually implies "I'm way to smart to bother having a decent conversation with a dimwit like you!". Well, if you say you're dumb, I guess I'll just have to agree with you, right? I mean I really can't argue with that statement now, can I?

5. People who get upset at you for something you have no clue about and then refuse to talk about it.
Best example that comes to mind - Phoebe refusing to talk to Ross because of something he said to her in her dream! There are so many times I completely identify with what Ross must have felt. I am an extremely vocal person (to the point of being annoying at time, I concede). As a result if something upsets me I almost always go up n tell the person in question why I'm upset. I expect the same courtesy. If I did something wrong (what can I say?! I'm human I guess!) I would, in all probability, like to make up for it. I'm a fairly decent person, I'd say. Not a monster of any sort. Just come and talk to me and we can sort it out! Its almost always as simple as that.

6. One-way expectations.
A lot of people expect you to make them a part of your life by talking to them when you need someone to talk to. They feel offended and neglected if you don't tell them about the job you got a few days ago or the car you bought last week. They want to be a part of your life. I appreciate that. They're always trying to make you feel like you can rely on them. But very few actually return the trust they expect from you. It upsets me when the above described person doesn't really bother to call/message/email me to update me on whats going on in their life but gets upset if I don't. It works both ways you know. I would always trust someone who came to me for help, rather than someone who didn't. Maybe my logic is screwy but it makes sense to me! And I'd love to debate it with anyone who's game ;)

7. People who're supposed to be there so that I can do my job, but are almost always MIA.
This one is mostly a work related rant. I hate it when I am dependent on someone else to get my job done (I believe its called team work) but that person's not there. If I have to sit around at work, stuck at a point and wait for someone to get his part done, it frustrates me and makes me very unhappy indeed! I'd suggest you stay away from me that day or I just might bite your head off!

8. Bad drivers who assume any space on the road is theirs for the taking.
Cars have indicators. Use them. If you want me to let you in front of me indicate your intent. Don't just assume that since I'm slower than you are I'm a pushover! This ones mostly because I'm a bad driver with slow reflexes and I need the people driving around me to be good! C'mon people get with the program!

9. People who write really interesting posts (in blog-land) with really bad English.
This is just heart-breaking. I see the thought behind the writing. I see how well-formed and expressive the content is. And I see how handicapped the blogger is by his/her use of the language. I'm not sure what irritates me more. The fact that the writer doesn't realize his/her mistakes or the fact that most Indian schools don't bother teaching their students the basic language constructs. I realize my English isn't exactly awe-inspiring. Maybe I should just let this one go for the moment...

10. People who get drunk and then don't have the manners to puke in the pot.
This is for all the ignorant drunks out there. Almost every place indoors which serves alcohol (including most homes I have been to) have restrooms/bathrooms, which generally come fully equipped with WC's. Thats where you should go to throw up if you need to. Not on the carpet, not in the corridor, not in the washbasin and not in the bins. The only place that has a flush and is wide enough to contain your upward flow is the WC. Use it! Of course, people outdoors or in cars are exempt, though I'm not letting a drunk anywhere near my Genie!

I think I can stop now. I'm not particularly fond of long rants either and I do bore quite easily so lets not run the risk of boring myself and my amiable readers (or at any rate, those that reached this far)!

I need a nice long cool drink! Phew!

14 Comments:

Blogger Cool said...

hmmm.. i want to comment on each point of yours... but later..first big comment on shool's blog is pending and my own blog......

but i can see the blog is inspired by point 6... i know u r getting what i mean

11:15 AM 
Blogger Cool said...

Nutty'
i actually reached that far (in reading blog...).. had to be quite patient but then i did... :)

11:18 AM 
Blogger Still Searching said...

I reached the end too :)) I've got to say I agree with 9 out of 10 of your points.. the only one I cant agree with is the people who dont want to get into debates.. that's moi... I'd rather not have a confrontation of any kind than put my point across, if the topic at hand doesnt really matter too much to my daily existence, esp if its world politics, the latest Paris Hilton story or Himesh Reshammiyas shining career..

8:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
I agree with most even the ones which apply to me..

6:25 AM 
Blogger Ganju said...

having a bad day, eh? :)

10:45 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

agree with most of points...looks like you need to just chill out and do something really relaxing...having a drink is a good idea...

2:24 AM 
Blogger Anshul said...

who pissed you off so much??

9:07 AM 
Blogger nutty said...

hehehe ..

@cool - waiting for the detailed comments! actually can I tag you in comments? If yes - then I tag you for your own list of 10 least fave things :)

and no.. point 6 was just a point in the list .. nothing special about it.

@ruchika - as long as you don't look down your nose at me and say "you're right" when you obviously sooo don't mean it .. I'm ok with that! :D

@dreamer - its ok baby! i still looouuu u! muah!

@ganju - yea well ... all in a days work :D all goody now tho :)

@chaitali - the weekends here!! yaaay! time for that drink! anyone joining me? ;D

@anshul - hmmm .. lets keep blog-world anonymous eh? What say? Maybe I'll tell you the next time you're in LA and we can have that above mentioned long cool drink ;D

10:09 AM 
Blogger Cool said...

hey the detailed comment may come this weekend... not having enoogh energy right now!!!!!!
for 10 least fav things.. will have to wait long time, no time to think of that... right now i am struggling to do my most fav (the most fav thing) things in life....
and bel me i am also a virgo and i can read it point 6 has special signficance to the blog and you know that.......no matter how much u deny......

1:04 PM 
Blogger Anshul said...

ok so it seems someone DID piss you very bad and then it enveloped into what other things I dont like type of a blog
LA... sigh; I'd love to be there now; but lets see dont think anytime too soon; so if you are in India or HK and I am there as well; drink and hte story is on you!
Cheers!
how is the Genie baby coming along?

9:40 PM 
Blogger Anshul said...

and oh by the way nice rip-off from Sound of The Music.
Like it!

9:44 PM 
Blogger NITHIN RAMACHANDRAN said...

hey ...guess sometimes the world aint what you want it to be ...but then you know every person has his quirks...ask a very frank friend and he will tell you a lot of things about you ....gues syou look back at yourself and you would see some of them true....

ive seen that happen to myself actully ...

nice post ....do keep posting...

yeah n about feeling bad....its part of human existence ....just accept it alright...but then your post caught a common chord...cool comments 0

11:58 AM 
Blogger Cool said...

1. you should not expect help from anyone and everyone who offers to help... and from those who you expect they may also fail sometime... and how to react has to be situation specific.. sometimes it genuine and sometimes you are wrong in expecting..
2. end of the day your attitude should be " my decision my life"...
3. sometimes it hurts at the wrong place, and you should be more sensitive to others need, if they getting hyper over crap.. just say sorry and ignore it.. no sense of getting too much into it....
4.ignore those people.. ur opinion ur opinion.. thats it..
5. it happens, and mostly these people are those who values you a lot.. so try to understand them...
6. it happens and its not right...you are justified for being upset..
7.part and parcel of anyjob.. happens all the time.. can't help it much.. need to learn to manage it well.. and higher you grow more dependency grows...
8. for this we will have to stop all women from driving.. just joking..can't help this much again.. but you should drive well.. and never when u r drunk...
9. i am sure my comments and blogs must be irritating.. but then i like writing like this only and i enjoy it writing like this only... and i am sure others also, the way they write...
10. i agree with you totally, in fact i was once a big culprit.. and zee is the best narrator of the anecdote.. but zee you need not mention that ever again...

11:23 AM 
Blogger nutty said...

thanks you cool :) n since you did make that much effort and u're sooooo bz ... I think I will let you off the hook and de-tag you if you want out :)

12:17 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home